On average, one pedestrian is killed every 85-minutes and one injured every 7-minutes. In 2019, 6,205 pedestrians were killed as a result of a car accident in the United States.
Have questions? Speak with a lawyer today 24/7.
7 Shocking facts about pedestrian accidents
(Findings are based on a 2019 study conducted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration)
- An estimated 76,000 pedestrians were injured in 2019.
- There were 6,205 pedestrian fatalities due to traffic crashes in 2019.
- Alcohol was involved in 46% of pedestrian fatalities where either the driver or pedestrian had a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .01 grams per deciliter [g/dL] or higher).
- Every 85 minutes, a pedestrian was killed in 2019.
- Nearly every seven minutes, a pedestrian was injured due to a traffic crash in 2019.
- Urban areas had more pedestrian fatalities than rural areas.
- In 2019, 20% of pedestrian fatalities involved a hit and run driver.
How can a lawyer help you if you were hit by a car?
Collecting compensation after a pedestrian accident can be difficult. A lawyer can fight the insurance company on your behalf to help you get the highest possible compensation for your accident. This process may involve intense negotiations and even one or more lawsuits against the at-fault party.
The lawyers at Long, Jean & Wechsler, P.A. have the resources and experience needed to take your case from start to finish. They are 100% committed to you and your case.
Vehicle drivers have the responsibility to drive in a safe manner, avoid negligent behavior, but furthermore, they have the duty to ensure their actions do not bring harm to anyone around them. When vehicle drivers fail to meet these responsibilities, they place themselves and everyone around them in danger.
Can a pedestrian collect compensation if they are hit by a car?
The answer to this question is complicated, but yes, it is possible for the pedestrian to collect compensation.
Florida has a “no-fault” insurance law that can make it difficult for a pedestrian to immediately file a lawsuit against the vehicle driver that struck them.
There are several crucial steps that need to be taken in order for a pedestrian to collect compensation. The first step is to speak with a lawyer as soon as possible. A lawyer will submit a PIP insurance claim (personal injury protection). If there are remaining damages after PIP benefits have been exhausted, a lawsuit may be brought against the at-fault party.
Long, Jean & Wechsler, P.A. is here to help
Our attorneys have helped countless pedestrians seek compensation after they were struck by a vehicle. Let our team help you get the justice you deserve.
Speak with someone about your case.
There is no cost or fee to you unless we win.